Tuesday 3 March 2015

Vincent

Last year I started an online course, Studying Under the Masters – Portraits. Here is the Intro and part one and I also got part two done. I started part 3, but then skipped ahead to part four. Then I got super busy, then Christmas, etc etc and have only now had time to go back to the lessons.  So I am still working on the first Master, which is Vincent Van Gogh, part 3 was to make a sculpture of him.
This is how I made mine..
I began with a wire armature, I filled the head with tin foil.

P1150549
I then added more tin foil to pad out the general shape.

P1150550
I then wrapped the shape with masking tape, this holds the foil in nice and tight and makes it feel more solid.

P1150553
Next I made a batch of air drying clay. The recipe I use can be found HERE.

IMAG0165

I began by moulding a basic shape of head and shoulders. This was where I got to last year, it was put aside to dry out and I just never got back to it..

IMAG0166
So I finally had time to make more clay, and I started adding the features..

P1170141
I set it aside for a while, took some photos and decided he needed more clay in certain areas.

IMAG1019
I left him to dry out, then added more clay, because this wet layer is being added to a dry layer you need to add a little white glue first, so the new layer will stick. I refined the features and made his hat brim thicker.

P1170207


I then painted his face with Fresco Chalk Acrylics 

P1170208
I then worked on his hat and coat.

IMAG1040
He doesn’t really look like Vincent, but that’s ok. I had fun making him and I kinda like him.

IMAG1042

Finally I added a coat of Satin Glaze , this finishes him off nicely.

P1170209
P1170212
P1170213
P1170216

Darcy x

18 comments:

  1. Wow, what a fabulous project! You do get an idea of Vincent, I think, so very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow there's no end to your talents this is fab and as Helen says there is a likeness. Well done x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can tell this is VVG by the likeness and by the colours / shapes you have used.

    Fantastic Darcy to see how you built him up, looking forward to seeing a very different Barbie too:-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it looks like Vincent! Looks awesome Darcy. :)Xxx.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's fabulous Darcy. You are so talented

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thnk you would guess who it was, great step out to an amazing project x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just incredible, Darcy. You are very talented,

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so vey cool-it makes me want to try!

    Shine on!
    Kelley

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's amazing. Not the spit image but you have captured the essence of him! Tis really inspiring! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous, l love his coat & I'd definitely peg him as Vincent in an artist's lineup! Loved seeing the steps :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Darcy,
    This is amazing, I'm loving your coloring(painting) of the face, it really shows off the expression.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh boy this is great! You even caught the innocence of his paintings and I think he would be happy with it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is amazing. I'm flat out, jaw-dropping impressed. I think it captures the Van Gogh of his paintings beautifully.

    Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh!! Darcy, he looks WONDERFUL. You're so talented!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW!!!! Fabulous work Darcy, Van Gogh is my favourite painter, and you pay to him an outstanding tribute here!! Coco x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think he has real character Darcy. I too started this course, and I really must get on and work through it-what a shame we have to work, it really interupts creative time!!

    ReplyDelete